Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Lighted Christmas Package

I can't take credit for the inspiration of this craft.  I saw it at a craft show several years ago and fell in love with it.  This was long before craft stores started carrying the blocks.  Being the thrift/crafty person I am, there was no way I was paying $25 at the craft show when I could go home and make one myself.  However, they didn't sell those little glass cubes...they were special order.  At least they used to be until Micheal's and ACMoore started carrying them year round!  So last year, I grabbed my 50% off coupon (never go there without a coupon!) and dug out my leftover ribbon and unused Christmas lights.  And voila.  I had myself that craft show piece for only $5!  This sits in the dining room where we eat Christmas dinner but it is also beautiful under the tree!
To make

Supplies
Christmas ribbon
strand of Christmas lights
Glass cube from a craft store with hole already in it

Assemble:
Put the Christmas lights inside the glass block and arrange so that when they light up, it looks balanced.  Tie the ribbon around the outside of the block so that it looks like a package being wrapped.  I tied mine just like a regular bow as if I was tying shoes to keep it simple.

Linked up at:
Beyond the Picket Fence

6 comments:

  1. I have a few of these.
    They look so cute displayed under Christmas trees.
    I bought mine, I'm not brave enough to attempt to drill into glass.
    Oh but if I was, I would have many more!! :)
    Thanks for sharing.
    Tam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy,
      Thanks for the comment but you no longer have to drill into glass! That was the point of the blog. Like you, I was afraid to put a drill to glass but now the craft stores sell them with the hole in the top! So get crafty this Christmas. : )
      Jen

      Delete
  2. Oh how pretty! Perfect for Christmas =) I'd love it if you'd share this at my linky party! http://www.accidentallywonderful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So clever! I'll have to see if I can find some at clearance time. Visiting from DearCreatives.com I am having a recipe swap if you'd like to join in if you have one to share!

    ReplyDelete