We don't see many animals in our suburban backyard, however, when I plant lettuce and other spring crops, I swear a siren goes off alerting all the animals to come sample. Last fall, it got so bad that I was unable to harvest anything. If it wasn't the birds scratching in the soil, or the squirrels looking for seeds, then it was the rabbits and foxes coming to sample what had grown. Fortunately, the deer were distracted by my neighbor's apple tree. So, I sketched out a design for a mesh cage to sit on top of my smaller garden for the spring and fall crops. It had to be removable for the taller tomatoes and cucumber trellis. Here's the end result.
The final measurements and other supplies:
2x4s = 12" (2 for the back) and 8" (2 for the front).
1x2s = cut according to my raised bed with the top side pieces being slightly longer to angle up.
2 exterior hinges
2 1/2' wood screws (and bolts to make it easier to remove for summer planting)
Deer resistant mesh
Staple Gun to attach mesh to the frame
Wednesday, January 6, 2016
|Before (dresser) and After (bench)|
Sometimes you get tired of doing the same old thing, and in this case, dressers. I seem to be drawn to dressers, and they find me, but the choices are to stain or paint. This time, I decided to cut it in half! I've seen this idea before but could never justify halving a dresser until now. This dresser came to me looking pretty good on the outside (minus the crack and wear on top), but it was missing all but one center support for the drawers. Not only would I have to rebuild those center supports, but most of the side supports were splintering under the weight of the drawers. So, I decided to get rid of the top two drawers and keep what was not as broken.
|Top of dresser crack that did not go all the way through|
|Missing finish and water damage on top|
|Just a shell for now|
>Filling the crack on top with stainable wood filler
>Strengthening the side supports
>Adding back the center support
>Adding MDF to the underside of the top piece to distribute weight for a bench
>Adding a new piece of MDF to the back
|Flipped upside down to screw in the MDF to the top support and the top of the chest|
|More fixing upside down|
|Ready for stain and drawers!|
|Staining with Minwax|
|Perfect height for a bench and plenty of storage!|
|The lighting made the close up look dark but it gives you a good view of the grain and knobs.|
In an effort not to waste the remaining pieces, the top drawer was already sold off as an underbed storage drawer. With $2 furniture sliders added to the bottom, it sold for $30! The other drawer and small side pieces will go in the wood bin for a future project.
Monday, November 23, 2015
see the other one here), the biggest question I heard was "Can you make one smaller?" So I was on the hunt for a twin-sized headboard. This one was curbside and perfect for repurposing.
After sanding down to the beautiful blonde wood, I stumbled across an old horseshoe and knew it needed a home on this project. I chose an antique white wood stain to keep the light color and allow the grain to be visible. Then it was just the trim to be painted, all of it sealed, and added the hooks and horseshoe.
Now it's ready to be hung by a horse-lover. Maybe it will find a home in a barn, or a little girl's room, or an entryway...
|The footboard is still waiting to be repurposed...|
|The finished coat rack!|
|Look at the wood grain|
Wednesday, November 18, 2015
The first thing to do was to make the drawer fronts smooth and remove the center hardware. The decorative indented pattern on the drawers was filled in as well as the drawer pull holes (I would drill new holes later).
Next, I added the primer, paint, and began the baseball stitching. To do this, I looked for the largest round object we had (a bungee chair in this case) and used it to trace the half-circle seams. Using red paint, I began the stitches.
And finally, the finished product was coated in Minwax Polycrylic to protect it from wear and tear, and new drawer pulls were added.
Thursday, October 22, 2015
|Before and After|
I started by sanding down the top and choosing my design....a sun to hang on to summer a little longer. After cutting the sun out of contact paper and laying it down, I first put down the MinWax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner. Next, I used a cloth to apply the MinWax Wood Finish stain in "Red Oak". Once dried, I removed the contact paper to find the sun design.
The table received 3 coats of Polycrylic to the top and "Sarsapairlla" color to the bottom (also with Polycrylic). The end result is a table to make summer last well into the winter!
Monday, October 19, 2015
|Before & After|
|Remove a few screws, give it a good hit with a sledgehammer and it was off!|
|New legs and new trim were added along the bottom|
Sunday, October 18, 2015
Sometimes furniture is solid but on the less-than-pretty side. I had been wanting to try Howard Restor-A-Finish but wanted an old "junker" to try it on. So along came this FREE coffee table. It was solid wood and ugly. It was definitely in need of restoring! This was the perfect guinea pig for my trial run with this product.
To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement! It was fast, easy, and came with phenominal results!! Just look at the before and after!
For an instructional video, click below.