Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Old French Provincial to Modern Coca-Cola chest



I had a French provincial bedroom growing up in the 1970s.  Perhaps for that reason, the style just doesn’t look modern to me. So when this freebie came home with me, I first started by taking off all the hardware and filling in the holes with wood filler.


Next, the feet had to be changed as well as the bottom kickplate so it would not resemble the old style. With some scrap table legs, I cut some new front feet. An old piece of antique walnut became the new kick plate, and with that, it was reassembled for painting.

Since I knew I’d be using a decal, I chose chalk paint for the base paint.  A water based finish would be needed for the decal and wax seemed the best option.

With two coats applied, the chest was ready for decals.  Being a Coke-Cola loving family, I purchased this decal off of Amazon.  It also came with a 5 cents image also that I chose not to use.  And with the decals applied, and a wax finish on top, our family has a new blanket chest.





No comments:

Post a Comment